Mayo Regional Hospital’s year in 2015 has been one of many accomplishments that have brought new providers and services to the community as well as a strengthened financial position for the hospital. It has also been a year of challenges related to changes in the health care environment initiated by the Affordable Care Act and Healthcare Reform. We have been able to meet the challenges and strengthen the hospital through the dedicated efforts of all of the healthcare professionals here at the hospital – it has truly been a team effort and I thank everyone who has worked hard to make Mayo Regional Hospital a top-tier rural healthcare provider.
Mayo was recognized this year with several awards.
- We were named one of the top 10 cleanest hospitals in the country based upon our HCHAPS scores for 2013.
- Mayo received the SHAPE award from the Maine Department of Labor for meeting standards and goals in improving employee safety.
- We were named a Top Hospital by the National Organization of Offices of Rural Health for Excellence in Patient Experience.
- Mayo was named Most Improved Hospital by its workers compensation company, Synernet, for improved employee injury rates.
- In August, we were surveyed by the Centers for Medicare Services for our Medicare recertification survey which is done every three years. We passed with few improvements needed.
I am happy to report we end 2015 in a much healthier financial position. After three years of operating losses, Mayo Regional Hospital’s new leadership team tackled a financial improvement plan which was an intense evaluation of expenses and revenues, in order to stop the financial losses and move in a positive direction. Programs like an Early Exit Incentive Program, Medicare Revenue enhancements and a new workforce productivity program assisted in Mayo having a small operating margin in FY 2015. We hope to continue these improvements in 2016.
We are continuing our hard work to bring our patients excellent providers and services. In 2015, we hired 10 new medical providers who are bringing expertise and dedication to our family practices, our emergency department, our orthopedics department, and to our OB/GYN team.
In 2015, Mayo Regional Hospital joined its first Accountable Care Organization (ACO.) ACO’s were implemented in the Affordable Care Act, also widely known as Obamacare. ACO’s are intended to help to better manage the health of populations to improve health outcomes and lower healthcare costs by keeping people well. Mayo’s primary care providers are participating in the ACO with five other hospitals and nine Federally Qualified Health Centers in the first statewide ACO network.
As we look forward to 2016, we reaffirm our mission of providing up-to-date, high quality, compassionate and affordable healthcare and we will continue to partner for healthier communities, one person at a time.
From all of us at Mayo Regional Hospital, we wish all of you in our community a healthy, prosperous New Year!
Marie Vienneau BSN, FACHE